GNG Soccer is back for another great season!
Our program focuses on soccer instruction via skills and drills. Our coaches are planning sessions that will work on various foundational skills and use them to play games that enhance the skills in a fun environment.
Each session, coaches will lead their group through a warm-up and stretches to educate kids on how to properly prepare for exercise. Then, kids will engage in drills that are fun and provide opportunities to practice the skills they've learned. Sessions will wrap up with a scrimmage to put the skills into a game-play situation.
Sessions will take place on Saturday mornings and exact times will be determined as we get closer to our kick off date. Sessions will take place between 9am and 12pm. Please help us by registering before August 31 so we can accommodate as many athletes as are interested.
We will alter the format of our program to help athletes stay safe and reduce the risk of spreading COVID-19 as necessary. At this time (July 2021) masking will not be required outdoors. We will be asking folks to stay home if they are unwell, require sanitization upon entering and as necessary, and we will consider the density of the crowd as we design the morning. The guidelines that help us do that tend to change regularly. We will keep up to date with the most recent information and communicate any anticipated changes as quickly as possible.
- Children, staff, and spectators who are not feeling well are asked to stay home
- Our skills and drills activities will be planned in a way that maximizes physical space between athletes and coaches
- Sanitizer will be readily available
What equipment do we need?
Athletes will be ready to participate if they are wearing athletic clothing and sneakers and have a water bottle with them. Soccer cleats, soccer socks, and shin guards are not required but can be helpful. Each year, we collect gently used soccer cleats and shin-guards community-swap style; if your kiddo needs cleats, please look through the bin to see if the right size is available. If your kiddo no longer needs a pair of cleats, please consider donating them to the community. There is not any exchange of money for using this program, we’re trying to help old cleats find new feet. If you’re ready to donate cleats now, contact Sarah (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Anthony (email@example.com) and we’ll be sure to coordinate drop off and make them available for participants.
Are you a parent who would rather run around with the kids than sit and watch them play? Soccer is a popular program and assistance from willing parents helps our coaching staff execute the skill sessions as smoothly as possible. In order to volunteer, the parent must successfully complete a background check and sign a liability waiver. In exchange for time and efforts, volunteers will receive a tshirt, hat, waterbottle, whistle, and more smiles than you thought possible on Saturday mornings in the fall.
Parent Volunteers can help by:
- Helping kiddos find his/her parent if they need to use the restroom or have other needs.
- Help the coaching staff by providing another adult to help demonstrate a skill or drill
- Helping smaller groups of kids stay on track with the skill practice or drill.
- Help keep equipment sanitized as needed
GNG Youth Soccer runs Saturday September 11th-October 23rd and our rain date is October 30th (please note that we skip October 9th, The weekend of Indigenous People's Day).
Scholarships available for residents from both towns. Click here for more information or reach out to the Recreation Director from your town of residence if you have questions about the scholarship program.
GNG Youth Soccer Age Group Program Descriptions:
- 3 – 4 year olds: This is a great opportunity for your little kicker to get used to dribbling, passing, and shooting the soccer ball while playing age appropriate games to build skills and have fun. This is a great opportunity for kiddos to learn how to participate in a class in this format; following instructions, taking turns, and developing community camaraderie are our goals. 40 Minute sessions.
- Kindergarten to 2nd Grade: Sessions for this age group will be focused on skill building, using drills and games to enhance skills. Each session will end with a short, small-sided scrimmage. 50 minute sessions.
- 3rd to 6th Grade: Sessions for this age group will consist of skills and drills that focus on the development of the next level of soccer game management and aptitude for young athletes. 60 minute sessions.